Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Downtown Eats: Town Hall Brewery



A few years back, when the what'sitsname comedy theater reopened as the Town Hall Brewery, a good number of theater folk, and other hangers-on (including myself), flocked to its in-house brews and spacious patio seating. Supplanting the long-standing Sgt. Preston's for most actors per square inch, the Town Hall was the place to be seen after a show, a rehearsal, or after pretending to be in a show or rehearsal.
During a spring of '02 production I probably hit the Town Hall two dozen times in two months; mostly sharing the various beers and old stories with cast and crew. The director of this unmentionable play, a blustery, jolly, and somewhat perverse man, introduced me to the Town Hall Black and Tan (their stout and their ale). I love my Guinness and Bass as much as the next, but Town Hall had the recipe licked. Nutty and dense, yet somehow crisp and refreshing.
Now, years later, I have discovered their food. to be honest, I don't know if they've changed chefs, menus, focus, or what, but whatever it is, they're getting it right.
I've had their chicken wrap (sadly, no longer on the menu), Santa Fe Black Bean Burger (outstanding!), Brew Burger, Black & Bleu Burger, and the Riverside Chicken Pita. The wrap was delicious, the black bean burger was divine (and in-house made), and the burgers are top-drawer. The chicken pita left me a bit stale, as the chicken salad, though tasty, is more of a chicken paste -- unappealing texture, really. Still, that's only one of five that would receive a 'Meh' on the Guttoral Scale of Flavor (Lowest being Bleh, followed by Guh, then Meh, then Mmmff, then ultimately Ohh).
Town Hall's fries are pretty decent, too. Not enough salt for my taste - but then what doesn't fail in that - yet light, crisp, and perfectly cooked every time.
Oh, and since I'm always a stickler for price, most items are in the $7-$10 range. For food this good, I'll take that.

Town Hall Brewery

Town Hall Specials and Reviews from Thrify Hipster

And from the fine drinking site Bottle Gang

No comments: