Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Downtown Eats: Bobby & Steve's

Call me late to the party. I've been occasionally pumping gas from Bobby & Steve's downtown pump house, but never managed to venture too far into the rest of the mart. Actually, a flat tire last winter soured me a bit on their helpfulness, but now all is forgiven.
After receiving the flashing low-gas light on the scooter this morning, I planned a mid-day stop at B&S's for some petrol and possibly an eat. Bumping into my boy Sam out front upped the station's cred as a food destination, as Sam is nothing short of a connoisseur of quick food. (Admittedly, so am I.)
After a brief chat, I walked in, immediately nabbed a $.79 Diet Coke (
in a glass bottle no less!), and made my way to the lunch counter. What ho! Paninis, burgers, dogs, sandies of all kinds and warming-tray warm foods (Corndogs, fried chicken, nachos, etc.) ... And all for $5 or less. Combos - which include fries and a pickle - are $6.99. A gas station miracle. Scratch that ... a diner in DT Minneapolis miracle. This is no ordinary gas station two-for $2 special food my friends.
You think I'm jesting. I am not jesting. I get grumpy when I pay more than $10 for a lunch around town ... let alone one that is sub-par or unsatisfactory. (I'm talking to
YOU Harry's on Washington.) So when I saw Reubens, philly cheese, 1/4lb burgers, and the like for about $5 - freshly cooked - I instantly forgave the cranky pants in tire service for last December's misgivings.
I ordered the Philly cheese from a guy who called me "boss", and promised me the fry girl's number if I got fries with it. I passed on the fries, though to be sure, the fry girl whom Sam called a "chubby dumpling", was awfully cute. Still, you'd never need them. The sandwich is more than ample and made like the real deal. I've been to Pat's in South Philly, I've rocked Geno's across the street ... this is not on their level, but it was close. A good damn sandwich. All told, I paid a little over $6 with tax.
It's an oasis. I'm sure you're all in the know. I wasn't. Now I'm just passing it along...

No comments: